Coronavirus: Expert suggests Ayurveda helps boost immunity against COVID-19
Ayurveda’s immunity-boosting measures for self-care during COVID-19 crisis
In the wake of the COVID-19 outbreak, entire mankind across the globe is suffering.
Enhancing the body’s natural defense system (immunity) plays an important role
in maintaining optimum health.
We all know that prevention is better than cure. While there is no medicine for
COVID-19 as of now, it will be good to take preventive measures which boost our
immunity in these times.
Ayurveda, being the science of life, propagates the gifts of nature in maintaining
a healthy and happy living. Ayurveda’s extensive knowledge base on preventive
care derives from the concepts of “Dinacharya” – daily regimes and “Ritucharya”
– seasonal regimes to maintain a healthy life. It is a plant-based science. The
simplicity of awareness about oneself and the harmony each individual can achieve
by uplifting and maintaining his or her immunity is emphasized across Ayurveda’s
Ministry of AYUSH recommends the following self-care guidelines for preventive
health measures and boosting immunity with special reference to respiratory
health. These are supported by Ayurvedic literature and scientific publications.
I General Measures
1. Drink warm water throughout the day.
2. Daily practice of Yogasana, Pranayama, and meditation for at least 30
minutes as advised by Ministry of AYUSH (#YOGAatHome #StayHome
3. Spices like Haldi (Turmeric), Jeera (Cumin), Dhaniya (Coriander) and
Lahsun (Garlic) is recommended in cooking.
II Ayurvedic Immunity Promoting Measures
1. Take Chyavanprash 10gm (1tsf) in the morning. Diabetics should take sugar-free Chyavanprash.
2. Drink herbal tea and similarly decoction (Kadha) made from Tulsi (Basil), Dalchini
(Cinnamon), Kalimirch (Black pepper), Shunthi (Dry Ginger) and Munakka
(Raisin) – once or twice a day. Add jaggery (natural sugar) and/or fresh
lemon juice to your taste, if needed.
3. Golden Milk- Half teaspoon Haldi (turmeric) powder in addition 150 ml hot milk –
once or twice a day.
Know more about Organic Turmeric Powder (click here)
III Simple Ayurvedic Procedures
1. Nasal application – Apply sesame oil/coconut oil or Ghee in both the
nostrils (Pratimarsh Nasya) in the morning and evening.
2. Oil pulling therapy- Take 1 tablespoon sesame or coconut oil in the mouth. Do
not drink, Swish in the mouth for 2 to 3 minutes and spit it off followed by
a warm water rinse. This can be done once or twice a day.
IV During dry cough / sore throat
1. Steam inhalation with fresh Pudina (Mint) leaves or Ajwain (Caraway seeds)
can be practiced once in a day.
2. Lavang (Clove) powder mixed with natural sugar/honey can be taken 2-3
times a day in case of cough or throat irritation.
3. These measures generally treat normal dry cough and sore throat. However,
it is best to consult doctors if these symptoms persist.
[ Snapppt Embed - No account ID provided! ]
1 The above measures can be followed to the extent possible as per an
2 These measures are recommended by following eminent Vaidyas from
across the country, as they may boost an individual’s immunity
1. Padma Shri Vaidya P R Krishnakumar, Coimbatore
2. Padma Bhushan Vaidya Devendra Triguna, Delhi
3. Vaidya P M Varier, Kottakkal
4. Vaidya Jayant Devpujari, Nagpur
5. Vaidya Vinay Velankar, Thane
6. Vaidya B S Prasad, Belgaum
7. Padma Shri Vaidya Gurdeep Singh, Jamnagar
8. Acharya Balkrishna Ji, Haridwar
9. Vaidya M S Baghel, Jaipur
10.Vaidya R B Dwivedi, Hardoi UP
11.Vaidya K N Dwivedi, Varanasi
12.Vaidya Rakesh Sharma, Chandigarh
13.Vaidya Abichal Chattopadhyay, Kolkata
14.Vaidya Tanuja Nesari, Delhi
15.Vaidya Sanjeev Sharma, Jaipur
16.Vaidya Anup Thakar, Jamnagar
Disclaimer: The above advisory does not claim to be the treatment for COVID 19.